06 July 2022
The Hong Kong Men’s squad to compete at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifiers B to be held in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe 11th June - 17th July 2022 has been named.
This tournament is the second of two global qualifiers. The first having taken place in Oman in February 2022 where United Arab Emirates & Ireland qualified for the World Cup in Australia in November 2022.
The Qualifiers B tournament involves eight countries split across two groups; Group A: Zimbabwe, Singapore, Jersey, USA, and Group B: Netherlands, PNG, Hong Kong, and Uganda. The top two teams in each pool qualify for the semi-finals. The two teams making the final will qualify for the T20 World Cup in Australia In November 2022.
In preparation for the tournament, the squad is spending 11 days in Durban for a combination of training and fixtures.
Head Coach Trent Johnston had this to say:
“Moving from 50 over cricket in the recent Challenge League B tournament to T20 cricket has injected a lot of energy into the group. I’m incredibly proud of the way this group handled the adversity they faced in Uganda, it is something that has further strengthened this group. We know what we are up against in Group B having played against all the teams in recent years. That gives us a lot of believe going into this tournament. We’ve had great preparation in Durban, it’s now a matter of putting it together in what is a short and sharp tournament”
Director of Cricket on the CHK Board, Rahul Sharma had this to say:
“We are incredibly proud of the team’s performance in Uganda during the recent Challenge League B Tournament. We have every confidence in our boys and will be right behind them as they now focus on pursuing qualification for the T20 World Cup later this year. The T20 format is one that comes naturally to many of our players and I know that they will do Hong Kong proud.”
Captain Nizakat Khan had this to say,
“T20 World Cup Qualifiers are always a very exciting tournaments to be a involved in. We have a great balance of experience and youth in the squad, with a number of guys having experienced both playing in World Cup Qualifiers and against the opposition, we will be facing in Group B. This group has come together really well and the experience of having played together and performed in tough circumstances in Uganda is only going help us as we pursue qualification for the T20 World Cup.”
14-man squad selected for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifiers B:
1. Nizakat Khan © (Hong Kong Cricket Club)
2. Adit Gorawara (Hong Kong Cricket Club)
3. Aftab Hussain (United Services Recreation Club)
4. Aizaz Khan (Kowloon Cricket Club)
5. Ayush Shukla (Hong Kong Cricket Club)
6. Babar Hayat (Kowloon Cricket Club)
7. Ehsan Khan (Little Sai Wan Cricket Club)
8. Ghazanfar Mohammad (United Services Recreation Club)
9. Haroon Arshad (Little Sai Wan Cricket Club)
10. Kinchit Shah (Hong Kong Cricket Club)
11. Shahid Wasif (United Services Recreation Club)
12. Waheed Mohammad (Pakistan Association Cricket Club)
13. Yasim Murtaza (Pakistan Association Cricket Club)
14. Zeeshan Ali (Pakistan Association Cricket Club)